Recent Posts

Friday 23 January 2015

Blessed Junipero Serra Moment

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/01/20/pope-says-he-will-canonise-blessed-junipero-serra-in-washington/

I have a special love for Blessed Junipero Serra. For one Francsican to set up so many missions across California and elsewhere is a testimony to his saintliness.

I lived in Ventura for a while. and attended, at that time, the TLM at the mission there. What a fantastic experience to worship, and sing, as I was in the Gregorian Chant Choir, in such a venerable place.

My dad, who is now 91, was president of the Serra Club in my home diocese for years. That organization supports seminarians.

We shall hear more of Blessed Junipero Serra as the year passes into late summer, I am sure.

By the way, there is a bit of an American "argument" as to how this Blessed's name is pronounced, Some say Ju-ni-per-o, with the accent on "per" and some same Ju-ni-pero, with the accent on the first syllable.

What do you think?